Friday, August 5, 2011

Recent eats



I seem to have got my kitchen mojo back. It comes and goes, I know that and I've just had to ride through it. I only ever share recipes I'd make again. These all fit the bill. The first two also come with calorie/kilojoule counts which will be handy for when I'm using Fitday again. Any day now...

Gina's skinny recipes came through with the (baked) goods; this household was a fan of the Chewy Granola Bars. I subbed dried cranberries for raisins and made it with a flax egg (1 tbs ground flax + 3 tbs water) purely because I didn't have any eggs. Worked a treat, though I do advise waiting until cool to cut. I was totally impatient and a corner broke off. Still tasted good.

I have a summer haloumi recipe, but stumbled across this winter one (you'll need to scroll down). Warm mushrooms + haloumi = delicious and super quick which is perfect after a kickboxing session.

The snapper and kipfler potato recipe is slightly modified from Donna Hay's magazine. I've been wanting to try it for ages. Our new oven is super powerful, I'd look at roasting the potatoes for 20 mins next time!
Serves 2

400g kipfler potatoes thinly sliced
1 garlic clove thinly sliced
handful sage leaves
200g snapper fillet cut into 4
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 200C (400F) • Place potato, garlic, and sage on baking tray, spray or drizzle with oil • Roast for 30 mins • Increase temperature to 220C (425F) • Brush/spray fish with oil and season with salt and pepper • Add fish to tray with potatoes and cook for 10 mins.

I served it with some greens and a salsa verde mayo:
Small handful parsley
1/2 tbs chopped chives (I keep chopped frozen chives on hand)
1/2 clove garlic crushed
lemon zest
lemon juice
all mixed with (light) whole egg mayo.

Today I rest. 2hr run was on the cards, but we're heading away this weekend and there's food to cook and a car to source. Transmission in current car gone rendering it un-driveable. Pushing the long run out to Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment