Thursday, May 10, 2012

Great Train Race | Puffing Billy

Run: 1:20:40 | 13.2km | 6:07min/km

Pre-race routine:
Drove out to meet P & M at Ferntree Gully station, on the way I ate breakfast that consisted of two crumpets with peanut butter and a coffee. Because M was spectating we decided to carpool to Belgrave, the race start. We stood around for a bit before they started calling competitors.

Run comments:
I could not believe how quickly the first 3 kms went. It was pretty much all downhill, past cheering spectators and beautiful forest.

At about 5km there was a hill that was a real giver. It just kept going and going and going, I ended up having to walk for a little bit.

We were held up by the second train at the last crossing. I wasn't overly disappointed, it was quite fun having all the passengers wave at us. The community involvement in this run is pretty impressive too. People were cheering from their picnic tables, or chairs that they'd set up outside their houses. There was a huge Country Fire Authority and Police presence too.

Running into the finish line was spectacular, the park and trees in all their Autumnal glory. There's a little kicker to the finish line which made it difficult to sprint finish.

Two things struck me about the run - I was surrounded by people the entire time. For so long it was just me at the back with very few other people running as slow as I.

The second was that I estimated I'd come in at 1:20 and actually did. Usually my expectations far exceed my talent.


What would you do differently?
About 30 seconds before the race start I remembered I'd forgotten to eat my clif shots.

Not really knowing the course I held back a touch - not a whole lot, but I wish now I'd pushed harder in the last couple of km. I'll know for next time. There will be a next time. A fun run indeed.

Warm down:
Mmm blackberry gatorade, I'm a fan.

What limited your ability to perform faster?
I've not done a whole lot of run training, let alone hill training. I was buoyed by the fact that I ran a 9.6km last weekend, that had it been extended to 10km would have been a PB. My form appears better without training ;)

1 comment:

  1. Only just beaten by the train- very jealous. It is a beautiful run- sounds like the weather was just right.

    ReplyDelete