Sunday, March 4, 2012

Almond milk


I seem to go through stages of tolerating milk. Usually I can have two lattes over the course of a day and suffer no ill consequences. On the other hand I know that if I drink a 500mL ice coffee I'll be in a world of pain. However of late, just one latte is causing me grief. Oh the bloat! I can't forgo coffee just yet, but I can forgo milk.

Purchasing almond milk can be expensive, and can contain a heap of sugar... So good Almond milk, I'm looking at you.

I've had success in making my own almond milk in the past and I'm at it again.
• Soak 1 cup of almonds in a cup of water over night
• Drain the water
• Blend the soaked almonds with 3-4 cups water depending on your preferred consistency (I've also used a stab mixer with success)
• Drain. I use a sieve, but if I find a nut milk bag in my travels I'll get one.

You can add a sweetener or some vanilla essence at this stage, but I prefer mine unadulterated.
Lasts 4-5 days in the fridge.

Don't throw the nut pulp out! I've been known to freeze it only to throw it into baked goods at a later date. I'm currently experimenting with roasting it lightly and forming nut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment