Wednesday, October 2, 2013

1572 and Night shift




At this stage due to staff shortages, I'm pretty much on night shift every three weeks. I don't mind, but if you're not prepared it can be a tough and isolating week. The first night shift I did I put on 2 kgs in a week. A week! I didn't get enough sleep, my hormones were in turmoil and I couldn't eat enough. I had a hard time shifting the weight. But after a discussion with my doc and some time to trial what does and doesn't work I have the week down pat.

Sleep.
After consulting with my doc, I opt to take sleeping tablets for the week. This means I usually get 7-8 hours sleep per day. It makes all the difference, I function at work (less mistakes for my paper work - yay!) and don't fall asleep at the wheel when driving home in the morning.

Eats.
Before I go to bed at 8:00am or thereabouts I have breakfast. I wake up between 4-5:00pm and have a light lunch or second breakfast. I have dinner at 8:30-9:00pm and all my snacks/coffee are consumed at work.  Usually 3:00am onwards I start to get hungry.

Exercise.
I try and do something each day. It doesn't always happen. I tend to take it easy, going for long walks to get some vitamin D, rather than slogging through a run I'm just not up for. Also between the two yoga studios I go to there's usually an evening class I can get to.

Breakfast: The ubiquitous green smoothie, not too many additional items because I don't need the extra calories to sleep. 100g frozen banana, 150mL full fat milk, 1 tbs natural peanut butter, large handful of spinach leaves, small celery stick.
Lunch: Cape seed bread toasted with butter
Dinner: Pesto pasta with roast tomatoes and pumpkin.
Snacks: Orange, celery, strawberries & full fat yoghurt, M&M crispys - to show that sweet things do creep in!

No comments:

Post a Comment